Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:41:33 -0400
At an ILCA conference a few years ago, Ruth Lawrence pointed out that
chemotherapy drugs, like all others, *have a half-life*, and some of them
have half-lives of only a day or so.  Which means that, after a week or so
has gone by, the mother could indeed resume nursing until her next round of
chemo.

I felt stupid for not having thought of this myself, and thought immediately
of a client who weaned with *great* reluctance to start chemo.  She pumped
to store milk ahead, on top of having a new baby and long distance driving
to radiation treatments.  This is one mother who I *know* would have given
this pattern of pumping, nursing, pumping, nursing a try... if I had known
to suggest it.

I thought the idea of intermittent weaning for chemo was going to be a
radical and wonderful concept for us, but I haven't heard it mentioned since
that conference.  Of course a mother could quit at any point if she felt it
to be too much.  But not to know it's an option?  Why are we not talking
about this more among ourselves?

And I have read that the long-term chronic fatigue that can follow chemo is
more likely among patients who took it easy during chemo as opposed to
pushing.  The Lance Armstrongs seem to do better in the long run.  Not in
terms of cure rate, I don't think, but in terms of energy and feeling of
wellbeing.  So why not consider a pumping/nursing cycle to be a mother's
contribution to her baby's health, to her relationship with her child, and
to her future wellbeing, and support her if she wants to give it a try?

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC  Ithaca, NY