From:
Lyla Wolfenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 19:59:08 -0800
greetings,

I met a woman at a park yesterday and spoke with her for about half an
hour.  she told me an intersting story and i would like to get your
thoughts on it.  She is currentl pregnant, and due in february. this is her
second pregnancy, however, and her first baby died soon after birth.
consequently, she belongs to a support group for parents who have lost a
baby.  there is a mom in her support group whose baby died at several
months of age.  this mom's story (the second mom) is that she apparently
suffered from an extremely rare disorder resulting in hi-sodium breastmilk.
 the baby died from kidney failure or something related to high sodium
breastmilk - exhibiting no signs of illness until going into shock and
dying at 2-3 months of age.  she apparently had her milk tested and sodium
content confirmed.  she was told that the condition is extremely rare -
something like 1 in 5 million or more.  she is currently pregnant again,
and plans to have her milk tested, but does not have her hopes resting on
breastfeeding.  I have never heard of anything like this, and wonder if
anyone else has.  Of course this is a third hand story and i know a lot
could have been lost in the re-telling - however, i questioned the mom i
was talking with about whether it could possibly have been that hte baby
had galactosemia, or cystic fibrosis, or something.  But she is certain
that it is as i have said.  any input into what this might have been would
be greatly appreciated.
Lyla Wolfenstein