From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 08:33:59 -0500
Re:
>Date:    Thu, 9 Nov 2000 18:39:39 -0600
>From:    Jim & Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Night feeds

>To reduce the likelihood of mom "sending" baby to the nursery for
>the night, we have to start much earlier in the game.  Here is a
>very typical scenario:

I loved this post!
It is so full of wisdom... what really happens.
Mothers spend few nights in hospital now. Maybe that time can be spent
showing them how to "cuddle in": lie down, hold their baby safely in
bed, etc. But yes, I hadn't thought of that, Winnie, they need to be
taught how to sleep with their baby when their baby is sleeping, and not
when their company is at home asleep.
Personally, I try to keep guests away from hospital completely. Last
time, I didn't even want the sibs there, because they become so
distraught seeing me in an ugly room. When we come home, I feel I have
at least some control over visitors, and a room I can retreat to for
cuddling in.
Of course, the idea of night feeding and napping during the day is an
ongoing challenge that I work hard helping mothers meet. So many moms
think that if they have older children afternoon naps are impossible,
but we can usually come up with a few creative solutions!
Funny I didn't think about the problems of baby schedule vs. outside
world schedule... Yesterday I spent hours arranging everyone's life so
Naomi and I could nap --- I was successful!
Jo-Anne, mother of Naomi, 15 mos. and several older non-nappers.