From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 19:56:10 +1000
> <<   the 1977 Papua new Guinea (PNG)
> legislation which requires a prescription from a health professional for
> feeding bottles and associated paraphenalia, and what has happened since.
> The legislation is: the Baby Feed Supplies (Control) Act of 1977.  <snip>
>  However, when I visited PNG in early-1984, artificial baby milks (ABMs)
were

Jennifer Tow wrote:
> Am I missing something here? Why limit the sales of "paraphanalia" and
allow
> sales of the product? That is like limiting the sale of "illicit" drug
> paraphanalia, while allowing the sale of such drugs? This sounds more like
> politics than anything else, or did I *really* miss something?
> Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

Initially, the law proscribing bottles, teats and related paraphenalia
helped reduce fatal diarrhoeal disease in the new nation.  The article I
cited discussed the means by which it has been eroded in practice and makes
clear recommendations of *education and implementation* (giving it teeth).
Without the law, even poorly enforced, artificial feeding would be more
widespread that it is - and that would mean more sick or dead babies.   The
article is worth accessing, for a full coverage of the topic.
    I am currently NOMAIl, but can be contacted privately.
          Virginia
          in Brisbane