Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2000 02:21:26 EST
I've been following this thread with interest, as I have approached our local
hospitals with my services.  I, too, have gotten, the "non-RNs need not
apply" line.  When I innocently asked about the speech therapists,
physiotherapists, massage therapists, OT's, ultrasound technicians and other
specialized allied health professionals who have no problem getting employed
by hospitals despite the fact they are not RNs as well, I was told, "Well, it
doesn't apply to them, only to lactation."  I pointed out that I have years
of specialized training, took a certification exam, remain current with
thousands of dollars worth of continuing education, and am fully insured. Yet
there were no good reasons to explain this policy.

You can be an excellent lactation consultant even if you've never breastfed a
baby.  You can be an excellent nurse even if you've never been sick.  We
non-RN IBCLCs are being discriminated against on a regular basis, and we are
letting the hospitals get away with it.  Maybe ILCA and ALCA could do more to
make this point.

Barbara M. Ash, MA, IBCLC
Canberra, Australia