From:
Beth O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:05:33 EDT
One other idea to this, is something I have often thought about. What are the
benefits do you think of the older baby/toddler to receiving a second and
prolonged dose of colostrum!! THAT to me is a better and more interesting
idea!! The baby/toddler is getting this second dose at the very time in his
life when he is going out in the world more on his own... lots of thought
provoking things there huh! Maybe this is all in "the plan" for healthy
children!!haha

I took part in a study done by some researchers at UAB here in Birmingham
when preg. and tandem nursing my last 2. They interviewed me during the
3rd.preg. twice then came out after baby #4 was born and got me to hand
express a sample of colostrum. I did not like the premise, they were trying
to see if the colostrum quality would be different since I had nursed through
a pregnancy. I thought that was sort of a negative way to put it! BUT they
never did tell me if they had enough participants to actually do the study or
what. They were supposed to get back with me on the outcome.  Our LLL group
provided several mothers to them, as at that time we had several moms who
were preg. and nursing.

I told the researchers my self that a more interesting idea would be to
investigate the benefits of this second dose of colostrum. BUT it would not
be likely that you would be getting many takers.. because as I pointed out,
most moms don't want their babies to be "stuck" even for routine blood work
and shots much less have blood drawn which is likely what they would want to
do to check immunities and benefits to the toddler!

Just an idea. Sorry for the long post!!

Beth O'Donnell, IBCLC and LLL Leader..
Administrator, East Lake UMC Academy, and inclusive Church School
<A HREF="www.teachus.com">www.teachus.com</A>
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Abraham
Lincoln