HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:09:56 +1100
Kristi

Canada is blessed with the legacy of Iain C. Walker's four volume PhD-turned-monograph on the archaeology of the clay tobacco pipe, which was published in one of the Parks Canada History and Archaeology monograph series.  This has far, far more information than you will ever need to know.  It includes a very useful gazetteer of clay pipe material from excavated contexts, although this would be way out of date by now.

Also there are manufacturers' catalogues and price lists published in the British Archaeological Reports (BAR) series.  Dont have the referecne to hand but they are in Vol. 11 of the Clay tobacco pipe sub-series, edited by P. Davey, within the BAR sequence.  Published about 1987.  These were dated to 1900, and include some illustrated catalogues.  An essential source if the pipe material dates to c. 1900.

Also the paper by myself and Iain Stuart may be useful introduction to the potential of the topic.  See Australasian Historical Archaeology vol 17, 1999.

Just in passing 1900 is about the end of the line for clay tobacco pipes.  You do find them later, but the late Victorian era saw the triumph of cigarettes, and they become rare in sites after this date.  I dont think I've ever seen a post WWI clay tobacco pipe in a normal archaeological context that couldnt be argued as a residual from earlier activity.

Denis

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
Denis Gojak
Heritage Asset Manager
NSW Department of Urban Affairs and Planning
2-10 Wentworth Street
Parramatta NSW 2150
PO Box 404 Parramatta 2124
Ph:    +61 2 9895 7940
Fax:   +61 2 9895 7946
Email: [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/06 8:26 am >>>
Hello All,
A friend is analysing a site from the interior of British Columbia,
Canada. He found a clay pipe stem and is trying to wade through the
literature to find relevant sources to this area. It may be associated
with a village recorded in 1900. I am very little help because I've never
worked with clay pipe stems and I was wondering if any one could give him
a pointer?

Thanks in advance for any leads.
Kristi