HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:07:36 +1100
So many saints, so little piety...

It seems there is only one way to solve this dilemma.

I refer to a rigorous scientific experiment that harks back to this list's earlier discussion of dowsing in aid of site detection.  For a period of one calendar year field archaeologists across the globe are to adopt and pray for the guidance of one or other of the competing saints.  Their particular guy's / gal's efficacy and general benefit to archaeology can then be judged through comparison of archaeological survey results.

These will be processed through rigorous debate in archaeological forums, largely by retelling of anecdotes.  Extra points will be awarded for good weather in the field, and finding neat stuff not on the last afternoon.  I expect those who argue the validity of dowsing will find this methodology satisfactory and just as testable as their own.

I am off to look at some Chinese market gardens and I'll be taking St D. with me.

Denis Gojak

Michael Strutt wrote:

> Two patron saints??
>
> Goodness knows there are some days when the profession can use all the help it
> can get.

It might even be three.  I've read at least one report that St. Helena,
mother of Constantine the Great, is also the patron saint of
archaeology.

(she walked around what's now Palestine and Israel pointing at spots and
declaring them holy, therefore anticipating National preservation
authorities by 1,500 years)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alasdair Brooks
Department of Archaeology
University of York
King's Manor
York
YO1 7EP
England, UK
phone: 01904 433931
"The Buffalo tastes the same on both sides of the border"
Sitting Bull