From:
Geoff and Philippa Crossley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:52:10 +1100
In Canberra, Australia we have a lot of Vietnamese mums - 5 years ago we
might have accepted that it is their custom not to give the baby colostrum,
now very few of them even mention the fact, they are happy to breastfeed and
breastfeed for many months - and if they are new to Australia and do mention
the old Vietnamese custom we just let them know that there has been a lot of
research done in the last few years that has proved colostrum to be very
beneficial to the baby, they are very keen to do the right thing by their
babies.  Education is a wonderful thing.
Philippa, RM IBCLC
in Canberra on a very wet Thursday