Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:35:06 -0500
Hi all,

I am working with a mom whose baby has been diagnosed with
"allergic colitis"   The doctor has told the mother that she *must*
wean.  The baby is allergic to milk and soy (no formal testing done)
and the doctor said that there is no way that the mother can
eliminate dairy and soy from her diet without harming herself.  She
did eliminate dairy from her diet starting about 4 weeks ago and
found improvement after 2 weeks.  When she did have some
margarine with whey in it the baby reacted by cramping.  The baby
has horrible gastro-intestinal cramping when she does eat any
dairy.

The mother is very committed to breastfeeding and does not trust
this doctor's information concerning breastfeeding (he told her there
was no medical reason for any baby to nurse past 2 months)  She
is looking for information both on "allergic colitis" and on a
dairy/soy free diet so that she can continue breastfeeding this baby.

I have contacted my LLL APL, but wanted to seek out information
from this forum also.

Thanks,

Michelle Leifur Reid
LLL Leader