From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 22:39:42 -0400
Re:
>This is the advice I have always given mothers, based on LLL
information.  However, >about a year ago this got me into
>trouble with a young pediatrician who insisted that newer info suggests
that introducing
>meat proteins this early increases the risk of allergies. He
recommended
>waiting until at least 9 months for meat (preferably closer to 12), so
he insisted on
.>iron-fortified cereals by 6 months.
There was an article in Leaven about this last year. It suggested, as
has been our practice for many many years (before the rest of the world
caught up to the six-month mark) to start with bananas (or yams) and
introduce meat as a second food. The research they based their responses
to the query about allergies suggested that there was little cause for
concern except in the cases of family history of allergies to that
particular meat, and suggested less allergenic meats such as turkey.
Since I'm behind in my Lactnet, let me know privately if you need more
info. from this article.
Jo-Anne