From:
Kathy & Paul Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 06:53:24 -0400
After several more phone calls with this mom and an email with Dr. Hale, I
got this email from her last night.  I am sending it because the I-131 info
might be of use to some of you at some point.  Plus, I wanted you all to see
her excitement and also how it important it was to have had me be there to
listen, even when I couldn't get a definitive answer for her.  Sometimes I
want to "fix it" and fix it now, and need to remember the additional need
for warm fuzzy and soothing words.  She asked me to express her thanks to
those Lactnetters who sent me information as well.  She is grateful!

Kathy

> KATHY!
>
> I am jumping up and down with pure unadulterated JOY!!!
>
> I called Dr. S, B's pediatrician.  She said that ALL traces of
> I-131 dissipate from breastmilk by day 14, as long as the sodium blend is
> not used.  We checked...it wasn't!  She pulled the latest AAP and AMA
> guidelines, especially for breastfeeding moms who are treated
> with I-131 for diagnosis and treatment of Graves Disease.
>
> We'll be back to breastfeeding on Sunday!
>
> I wanted you to be one of the first to know.  I called you but you were in
> class.  Thursday, the little man and I have a pediatrician's
> appt, and I am
> taking that woman the biggest bouquet of flowers you can imagine.
>
> Thank you too, Kathy..for everything.  I couldn't have gotten this far
> without you.  Thank you for your information, your level thought, your
> validation of my feelings of loss, and for giving me hope.  You kept me
> sane, and I appreciate it, and you, very very much.

Kathy Koch, BSEd, IBCLC
Great Mills, MD
mailto:[log in to unmask]
"Children in a family are like flowers in a bouquet: there's always one
determined to face in an opposite direction from the way the arranger
desires."- Marcelene Cox