Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 07:31:35 -0400
It is up to the physician to provide evidence that the first nations' babies
grow faster and need the extra iron.  I don't believe this, but s/he needs
to provide the evidence.  I think the problem is that *exclusive
breastfeeding* is probably rare amongst first nations' mothers and it is the
use of whole milk and/or evaporated milk supplements which may be an
important factor in the iron deficiency.

Even if it is the case that the exclusively breastfed aboriginal baby would
need iron earlier, why cereal? Why not just medicinal iron drops?  The
introduction of all those other elements in the cereal just to give iron
seems to make no sense to me.

I think the best approach is to leave out cereal altogether.  Encourage
exclusive breastfeeding to 6 months or so, then add meat.  Much more iron in
meat than in cereal, and it gets absorbed better.  Much more nutritious for
the dollar.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC