From:
Jones Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 21:51:41 -0600
I have had an inquiry from a woman with a client whose 10
month old has been weaned from the breast and put on raw
goat's milk from the family goat.

She wants to know if goat's milk is as good as cow's milk.
I have already told her that breastmilk is recommended
(Relactation does not appear to be a viable option for this
mom.) and that infant formula should be used if the baby
isn't getting breastmilk.

She also wants to know about any precautions for handling
the raw goat's milk at day care.  She has talked to the mom
about cleaning the goat's teats.  I also suggested she call
the public health department.

Please answer privately as well as to the list.  Please send
only researched information or information from your store
of knowledge if this falls within your area of expertise.
TIA for your assistance.

Bonnie Jones, RN, ICCE, IBCLC from the S.W. USA