From:
"Sara D. Furr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 00:07:38 -0500
Lisa, I don't have any peer-reviewed references to dispute the disparaging
remarks the midwife in your area is making about tandem nursing.  But I can
tell you about my personal experience...

My first daughter Abby was born 4 days before her still-breastfeeding
toddler brother Nat's 2nd birthday.  Nat nursed just before I was wheeled in
for a cesarean delivery.  He also nursed several times each day after that
for the next year.  My milk came in about 48 hours after the delivery and
since Abby nursed well from the beginning she had plenty of colostrum.  When
Abby and I left the hospital, she had regained her birthweight.  At 4
months, she weighed 20 lb. 11 oz.  After the first few months of tandem
nursing, I no longer worried so much about who nursed first as it was
apparent to me that the baby and toddler were both well-fed.  However, I
will say that at the end of the day when I was feeling drained (figuratively
and literally) I tried to discourage Nat from nursing so I could satisfy
Abby during her nursing binges which tended to last from 4 - 8 p.m.

My pediatrician never expressed any concern that Abby was not gaining enough
weight because her brother was drinking all of the breastmilk.  :-)  At age
3 1/2 years, Abby is now tall, lean and muscular, as is her 5 1/2 year old
brother.  And they are the best of friends.  And they are both very
supportive of me nursing their little 5 month old sister Nora.

Sara Dodder Furr, MA, breastfeeding volunteer and advocate
Lincoln, Nebraska USA, enjoying the beautiful autumn weather