From:
Cynthia Good Mojab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 17:19:25 -0700
Dear Annelies and others:

Annelies wrote:

<<I'm looking for this in the textbooks (lawrence, akre, several article on
the internet), but I cannot find this way of transfer of antigens.
According to these books the sIgA production in the breast is triggered by
antigen exposion at mucosal sites, eg in the mothers lungs, and intestines,
and maybe her saliva etc. But not via her breats itself.
Maybe someone can point me to the textbook or the research that shows that
the transfer also happens directly from mouth to breast and there
triggering sIgA production??>>

The production of antibodies directly in the breast currently seems to be
called "autoimmunization," at least in one study.

Page 15 of the second edition of Breastfeeding and Human Lactation by
Riordan and Auerbach states:

"Artificially fed infants are denied the benefits of 'autoimmunization,'
whereby the breast produces antibodies to organisms to which the infant has
been exposed (Fishaut et al., 1981)."

Fishaut, M., et al., Bronchomammary axis in the immune response to
respiratory syncytial virus. J. Pediatr 99:186-9, 1981.

Perhaps that reference would clarify the mechanism and/or synonyms for the
process.

Lurking and saving an introduction for another time (hopefully soon),

Cynthia Good Mojab
Ammawell
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web site: http://ammawell.homepage.com