From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:14:01 -0700
Leslie commented:  but rather dismissing them and most
things to do with them. As Laura pointed out, careers
associated with babies and children are viewed with
less appeal and regard, but also so are many other
issues.

Maybe there is something about "earning their keep"
also.  Recently in a discussion on children's
behaviour in public, a person said "I dont' want to
hear your children (generic children, not just mine).
I don't want to see them throwing a fit and acting
like they're in pain. I dont' think they're cute!  I
don't think they're interesting!", etc.  Would we
devalue our spouse who was in pain because we decided
he was no longer "cute"?  Would we fail to feel
empathy for a total stranger because of a lack of
cuteness?  I hope not.

Yes, there is a strong bias towards devalueing a
little person because of a lack of understanding for
what they are feeling- "if just sitting there wouldnt'
bother me, why should it bother that baby?"