Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 10:41:25 EDT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I am furious! Last night on our local TV, the Headliner for the " health repor" was " North Carolina Dept of Health issues an advisory that Breastfeeding infants are at risk for rickets". I called the health reporter but of coure she has not returned my call ( she recently had a baby but didn't BF because of the demands of her career.
My concerns about this "research" ( and since it was published in Peds it myust be the gospel--right?) is:
If there were 30 cases in NC in 10 years that averages to 3 per year. Since when is this an epidemic?
If the average duration of exclusive Bfing was 12 and 1/2 months, why didn't the Ped and WIC pick up on the fact that these moms weren't feeding the babies food aftr 6 months.
What is the real relationship between WIC and the Artificial Baby Milk company that produces the vitamins? How much is WIC paying for these vitamins? Why are they using this particular brand?
Why was this publicity about this "risk" of breastfeeding distributed during and immediately after World Breastfeeding Week?
Who funded this research? Are any of our professional organizations issuing corrections/clarifications?

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC
Eastern NC ( where I have just had two newspapers do great articles about the WABA banners and our World Breastfeeding activities and then this happens)

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2