From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:27:51 -0400
When the Deep Freeze mom first put her milk into those clean-or-sterile
bags, the first thing her milk did was look around for microbes and zap
them.  I'm no microbiologist (someone help me out here) but I'd say it's a
fair bet that the milk was sterile or nearly so by the time she froze it the
first time.  It thawed, but only partially, so any bugs that were left (if
any) took their time getting a toe-hold, by which time the milk was
re-frozen.

I'd guess her milk is nearly as good as before, and that throwing out the
thawed milk was erring *generously* on the side of caution, assuming she has
a robust baby.  If she wants, before she offers one of those bags she can
taste a bit of it.  I've always figured if it tastes good it's okay.  Am I
off base here?  I mean, it's not going to carry typhoid, no matter *how*
sour it gets!  Why not apply the same taste test to baby milk that we apply
to cereal milk?

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, animal behaviorist not microbiologist, Ithaca,
NY