From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2000 18:52:27 EST
In a message dated 12/3/0 10:10:12 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<  When questioned about letdown (which I was expecting to be slow),
mom reports it is very rapid and milk is seen leaking from baby's mouth. Mom
is considering "just pumping" and feeding the ebm in a bottle. (NO NO NO I
really tried to steer her away from that! I just hate to see that happen so
often). >>

If the mother's letdown was rapid before her return to work, the baby may
have learned to cope with it. Once the baby had an opportunity to feed
without the rapid letdown (slow-flow bottle), maybe the baby became resistant
to the rapid flow at the breast. Have you suggested techniques for manging
the letdown to see if baby does better. Also, have you asked mom if she has
been resorting to bottles when the baby fusses--I see many mothers doing
this--not giving baby time to adapt. Also, I would suggest she try putting
the baby in a sling as soon as she gets home and allow the baby time to
reconnect before offering the breast. Have you suggested she feed the baby w/
a cup or Haberman? Is the baby getting a pacifier from the grandmother?
    I agree with you--it is the new thing in light of the importance of
breastmilk vs breastfeeding--everone wants to pump and put it in bottles--not
that they end up doing that either.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA