From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2000 12:04:02 -0600
Wes Crone wrote:

>Kevin Sutton wrote:
>
>>Humm, now this could open a real can of worms.  I haven't studied the
>>topic, but I was thinking in terms of gender and genre more on the basis
>>of sexual orientation rather than simply men vs.  women.  I think that
>>many gay men do listen to music differently that straight men do.  There
>>is, (and this comment is not based on any kind of expertise other than
>>personal experience) it seems to me, a tendency for gay men to relate more
>>emotionally to romantic music than straight guys do.  There are of course
>>exceptions, but I speak in rather broad terms.
>
>I would agree with you if ALL gay men listened to music differently than
>straight men do.  Who knows how everyone listens to music? Certainly
>grouping together people of a given sexual orientation or skin color and
>claiming they do things differently than others is going to offend someone.

Before you get too indignant Wes, please re-read what I wrote above.  I
did not say that ALL gay men listened to music differently.  I said that *I
THINK THAT....meaning that I was speaking only from my experience and not
trying to claim any expertise, and the very next word in my sentence was
*MANY*, not every, not all not even the majority.  I also couched my words
with a bunch of qualifiers to ensure that I was not attempting to speak for
the whole of gay-dom, but just from my experience.

>Why would gay men relate more emotionally to romantic music than straight
>men? Perhaps there is an effort to conceal one's romantic emotions among
>those straight men who would fear being labeled feminine for enjoying
>romantic music.

There is certainly evidence to back up that assumption where some straight
men are concerned.  (large snip)

See, I told you I shouldn't have brought it up, now everyone is going to
fly off the handle and try to make a big social commentary.  Sheesh.

Kevin