From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2000 19:44:24 -0800
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>Humm, now this could open a real can of worms.  I haven't studied the
>topic, but I was thinking in terms of gender and genre more on the basis
>of sexual orientation rather than simply men vs.  women.  I think that
>many gay men do listen to music differently that straight men do.  There
>is, (and this comment is not based on any kind of expertise other than
>personal experience) it seems to me, a tendency for gay men to relate more
>emotionally to romantic music than straight guys do.  There are of course
>exceptions, but I speak in rather broad terms.

I would agree with you if ALL gay men listened to music differently than
straight men do.  Who knows how everyone listens to music? Certainly
grouping together people of a given sexual orientation or skin color and
claiming they do things differently than others is going to offend someone.
Why would gay men relate more emotionally to romantic music than straight
men? Perhaps there is an effort to conceal one's romantic emotions among
those straight men who would fear being labeled feminine for enjoying
romantic music.

I am not gay but have been called very descriptive names by people who feel
that classical music is for women and gays.  What is it? Do people consider
it weak to wear your emotions on your shoulder? Are all the stereotypes
conjured through the ages limiting what certain "kinds" of people can and
can't listen to? I think it's bologna.  I think many men, in an effort to
look "strong" and "manly" in front of their peers, consider it weak to
express romantic feelings.  They attribute these types of feelings to women
or feminine men (gays, stereotypically speaking, although I have no such
belief whatsoever).  I am sure there are probably many people who might
enjoy classical music but wouldn't be caught dead humming a Bach tune for
fear of ridicule.  "Hey man, classical music is for gays!" What an insult,
like saying, "Hey man, classical music is for southpaws or for people over
6 feet tall!" Maybe it's not so bad in your part of town but this sums up
the musical atmosphere where I grew up.  Wonderful world, isn't it?

Wes Crone (thought music was supposed to bring people together, only in
fairy tales I guess)