From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 10:09:50 +0200
The entero-mammary pathway (I have heard it called e-m axis, and there is a
corresponding one for the respiratory tract) is the pathway by which
antigens-- the bugs-- are detected on site in the MOTHER's gut or airway,
stimulating antibody production by mother, which are then preferentially
sent to the breasts, so that antibodies for a current infection in the
mother will be detectable in her milk before they are detectable in her
serum.  Throughout life, a girl's immune system sends blueprints to the
guard stations in her breasts, so that every infection causing an antibody
response will have left a deposit there, which will be transmitted to her
children in her milk, and if she is exposed to the antigen while
breastfeeding, the amounts would increase.

I don't know what the pathway should be called that responds to antigens
applied locally to the skin of the breast from the baby's mouth.
Entero-mammary means from the mother's gut to her breast.

Pretty smart idea.  I wonder why no one has applied for a patent on it yet?

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway