Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 21:06:20 -0500
Hello all
I know this is a bit late, but am interested to hear what others have to do
to be caring for mothers!
Here in NZ we have old obstetric regulations that govern some of our
(midwife) practices, which come from puerperal sepsis days, so we must take
mother and baby's temps daily for the first 3 days - tho at home this
doesn't actually happen.
Post-partum if the woman's initial pp BP was ok, with no hx of hypertension,
then we do no further BP's.
The midwife caring for the woman (70% of the "lead maternity carers " are
midwives) would check the fundus/bleeding usually verbally, and inspect any
sutures if need be.
Interestingly, at a recent midwifery conference we were warned to be more
vigilant about looking at perineums as wound break-down is one of the more
common reasons for complaint to our licensing body.
Litigation is still quite rare here too!
So mostly midwives have plenty of time to be helping with breastfeeding.
We don't have obstetric nurses, we don't put anything in babies eyes, and
unless the baby has to go to the special care unit, eg preterm or diabetic
mum or sepsis then mum and baby are never separated.
Like Rachel, any LC or midwife who wants to visit would be welcome - i too
can arrange accomodation and visits to units!

Fiona Hermann
midwife
Hamilton
New Zealand