From:
Kathy & Paul Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 15:03:11 -0400
> Andrea Tran wrote:
> <I have heard twice in the last couple weeks of mothers who were avoiding
> peanuts while breastfeeding in the belief that this would help prevent
> their children from developing a peanut allergy later in life.  Is
> anybody familiar with this and is there any supporting research?>

I don't know about research but I have written before on Lactnet about a
friend and her experience with peanut allergies and nursing.  She consumed
alot of peanuts while pregnant with her son and after his birth.  He was not
a great nurser and was constantly ill with respiratory problems...wheezy,
mucousy and generally not well.  He was dx'ed with asthma and tested for
cystic fibrosis.  On his first birthday he had a crust of a peanut butter
sandwich and had a violent reaction.  He weaned shortly after his birthday.
He is severely allergic to peanuts and will even get hives if he plays in
the bean table at school.  In retrospect we believe he was reacting to his
mother's peanut consumption, and while it didn't cause his allergy, perhaps
it was the reason his first "real" exposure was so severe and was
contributing to his respiratory problems.  He is now on a pretty restricted
diet (no peanuts, no dairy for his autism and no gluten for his celiac
disease)

Kathy

Kathy Koch, BSEd, IBCLC
Great Mills, MD
mailto:[log in to unmask]
"Children in a family are like flowers in a bouquet: there's always one
determined to face in an opposite direction from the way the arranger
desires."- Marcelene Cox