From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:08:20 -0400
This is a note I received today from a woman who I met through my wool
spinning activities.  (unrelated to my breastfeeding related activities).

This is a flash from the past.  I have permission to share.

Writing a second time - wrote before about 36 Schact loom - after I went to
your website. Your lactating info was so thrilling. I wanted to share this
story with you. Let me know what you think of this. I have had practically
no echo from people, no empathy with what this felt like to me back then.
Even though now nursing is much more popular again.
I had twins in 1962 here in Plymouth, Ma. Dr. Spencer n ot only did not
encourage me to nurse them when I told him before they were born that this is
what intended to do, he was so set against it, that he called the father of
the children into his office to tell him how imperative it was that he stop
this nonsense as he called it.
I in turn decided to take things into my own hands and talked to every nurse
once I got to the hospital. It was amazing and very empowering what
happened.
The head nurse was so much on my side that she brought both babies in
only hours after they were born, so that the breasts would get stimulated.
She then brought them every 2 hours and I ended up nursing both of them very
succesfully - one for 4 months and the other one for 6 months. I had another
child under 2 and had to consider the time involved, plus I got and
infection after i got very sick from simply being over worked with 3 small
children and no help. But that was 38 years ago and yet I remember it so
well. Thanks for helping mothers to have an easier time today. I was alone
in the trenches and that is lonely and doesn't build up good connected
feelings. much love, marga

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet, Indep. Consultant
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://homepages.together.net/~kbruce/kbblact.html
LACTNET Archives http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html