From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 07:27:29 -0500
Virginia Knight wrote:

>Last week I went to a Promenade concert and heard Shostakovich's 2nd piano
>concerto (1957).  Afterwards my husband remarked that he believed this was
>the most recent piano concerto that is widely played.  We couldn't even
>think of many more recent piano concertos that aren't widely played!  Any
>suggestions?

Two come to mind.  The first is almost "standard repertoire." Oh how I hate
that notion.  At any rate the Barber Concerto is one.  Another work that
is sometimes encountered is the Ginastera First (which is actually his
Second).  For that matter the Barber Concerto was his second, he supposedly
destroyed the score to the first one.

Karl