From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:31:06 -0500
Alexandros Rigas wrote:

>Hello to the List!  Does anybody know the contents of the new NYPO box set
>dedicated entirely to L.  Bernstein?  Thanks for your reply
>
>Alex Rigas
>
>[The NYPO web site gives some general information, including composers
>represented, though there is no detailed contents list yet.  They are
>saying it will ship in October, so I would expect that more info will
>be at the web site at that time.  -Dave]

All I know comes from my last discussion with Sedge Clark, producer of the
set.

Some of the items discussed included:

Varese: Arcana
Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No.2 (Ashkenazy's US debut-wonderful
performance)
Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No.5 (Francois)
Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.2 (Kapell)
Fine: Symphony
Schuman: American Festival Ov. (from 1958)
Barber: Capricorn Concerto (as I recall a copy could not be located)

They were also trying to find a copy of the first broadcast of the Ives
Second...the only copy known is in horrible sound.

While the Schuman was something he recorded commercially, the goal was to
limit the set to repertoire he did not record.

And if you are a Bernstein fan...there is a still a good chance that the
Bernstein Age of Anxiety, with Koussevitzky conducting and Bernstein at the
piano will be released in the BSO set.

Karl