From:
Walter Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:09:51 -0400
Jon Gallant wrote:

>A few of the older campers may remember, if they still remember anything
>at all, the classical music LP retail market of the 50s, 60s, and early
>70s (I refer to the 1950s etc., not the 1850s).  To get a real *frisson*
>of nostalgia about those days, I recommend Matt Lasar's reminiscences about
>working at the old Sam Goody store on 49th St. in New York.  You can find
>it in the latest issue of the Internet magazine RALPH (Review of Arts,
>Literature, Philosophy and the Humanities) at:

The real "old Sam Goody store" was on Eighth Avenue.  They let you return
LPs if you'd only played them once.  They claimed thay could tell be
examining the record whether you were telling the truth.  Everything was at
least 30% off list price.  Columbia LPs, listing at $4.85, sold for $3.40;
London, Westminster, Vox, and other (then) more expensive LPs, listing at
$5.95, sold for $4.17, and RCAs, listing at $5.45, sold for $3.82.  Every
once in a while they'd have a big sale w/ all the big ticket LPs selling
for $3.50 each.

Walter Meyer