Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 15:14:00 EDT
Rob wrote:

<< A mom of a 6 month old said she enjoys nursing but really wants to wean at
=
 a year because she doesn't want the baby walking around and pulling at her =
 shirt to nurse.
 So I told her "Don't let him learn to walk." >>
Teehee, but really humor can be a great tool in looking at how silly it is to
have an artificial cut-off for nursing. These kinds of fears come up all the
time, I think, and a little humor can be very helpful. Fact is many moms are
worried about mothering a toddler, and breastfeeding or lack of it, is simply
becoming the focus other people may use to measure her child's "progress".
It's helpful for people to know that any toddler can pull at his mom's shirt
for her attention, whether he is weaned or not. Toddler mothering means more
work for mom, beginning to teach manners, set limits for safety and comfort,
even for mom's comfort too. I like to tell moms that breastfeeding can become
a center for this new learning and changing, but weaning will not make these
challenges any easier, and it offers a nice bridge from babyhood to childhood.
Judy LeVan Fram, Brooklyn., NY