From:
Fiona Hermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:28:21 +1200
Wow, I just can't believe the discrimination that bf mothers seem to get in
the U.S.A!!
The story about the woman who wasn't allowed to bf in the dr's office just
makes me appreciate what we have got here!
It is certainly not Utopia, with low rates of continuing bf after 3-6 mo but
at least bf in public is fairly common and we have general practitioners as
family dr's not paediatricians, and it seems while the advice given is
sometimes not in keeping with bf research they are generally supportive of
mothers.
The topic of poultices - what about things like kaolin or rolled
oats(oatmeal) - not quick cooking. Tie a cup of oats in a cloth, heat in
boiling water till a mucus-like substance comes out, and apply when temp is
right. I've used it myself and found it good. There is also magnesium
sulphate paste, great for drawing out things like boils or even glass splinters.
Homeopathy is another choice - ideally prescribed by a homeopath.

Fiona Hermann RM
Hamilton, New Zealand