Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 20:06:21 +0100
>I have just heard on the national news here in the UK that women with
>breast implants containing soya oil have been recommended to have these
>removed. The reasoning is that leakage may cause cancer.
>Now I was only listening with half an ear so I may have got some of that
>wrong.
>However the end of the report definitely said that women with these
>implants are being advised not to breastfeed.
>Anyone know anything about this?

Yes, that's the official line.

But there are only 5000 women with these implants in the whole of the
UK - and an even smaller number of childbearing age. The majority of
implants are not soya.

>I know that I will get calls about this at work tomorrow.  My instinct
>says that the risks of formula would outweigh the risks of
>breastfeeding. What risks anyway?
>However if that is the official line, I don't know that I can go against
>it without more information.

My instinct would be the same as yours....but it may be the health
risks are to the mother, not the baby. What effect would a leaking
implant have on a lactating breast? It could be nasty.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK