Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 19:29:02 EDT
In a message dated 7/22/00 3:31:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

<< Date:    Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:17:05 -0400
 From:    "^GyPsY" <[log in to unmask]>
 Subject: WIC and the teen mom

 You didn't offend me and I feel the same way and on WIC  I am nursing my
 baby constantly and pretty much off the formula now but I still get a
 case a month. Just me personally,  I think it is far to easy for people
 to get formula and it makes me think how many would be nursing if they
 didn't have access to formula so easy.  I needed it to begin with
 because the doc and nurses had my baby on formula as soon as he was born
 because of low sugar and then my milk didn't come in till day six and
 brett was nipple confused.  It took me a couple of months to get
 straight but we did and I'm very proud of the fact that I did both and
 still managed to nurse him without losing my supply.

 Blessings,

 ^GyPsY

Gypsy, if you're still getting a case of formula from WIC and don't need it
now (since you have been able to slowly get your baby back to breast only),
you simply need to tell the WIC nutritionist that you no longer need the
formula package.  The food codes can be changed at any visit to the WIC
office and your baby will be given an exclusive breastfeeding package (cereal
and juice when age appropriate) AND you will be able to get the enhanced
BREASTFEEDING FOOD PACKAGE for your self.  You will be able to get thing that
no one else on WIC gets (unless they are only breastfeeding -- not receiving
formula from WIC).  This ENHANCED food package includes : 4 cans tuna, 2 lbs
carrots, peanut butter and 1 lb legumes or beans (or 2 lbs beans and no
peanut butter), 2 dozen eggs, 36 oz cereal, 7 cans juice, 3 lbs cheese and 5
1/2 gallons milk.  Besides the tuna and carrots, this enhanced package
includes and extra pound of cheese, an extra bag of legumes/beans, and and
extra can of juice (above what a woman gets if she is receiving 2 lbs of
powdered formula or ABM).  For a woman who is getting a full package of ABM
(8 can powder or 31 cans concentrate), her food package will have NO tuna,
carrots, peanut butter or bean/legumes; it will only have 4 cans juice, only
1 lb cheese and 4 1/2 gallons milk.  The cereal and eggs will be the same.
So WIC doesn't want to give you formula that you don't need -- but you have
to tell us want is happening and that you no long need the formula.  Any
unused formula should be returned to your local WIC office.
Mary Caldwell, IBCLC, LD
WIC Nutritionist and Breastfeeding Coordinator