From:
Carol L'Esperance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 19:15:53 -0700
Hi! It has taken me a while to answer the person who asked about articles by Richard Schandler regarding energy output during breast and bottle feeding. I apologize that I don't remember who posted.

Paula Meier is the one who has done most of the research on this subject. Her research will stand the test of any academic scrutiny. It is outstanding research and clearly states that it is more stressful to bottle feed than to breastfeed; therefore, it would not only take more calories, but is more dangerous for a premature infant.

This is a great example of the evidence being clear, but when it comes to breastfeeding we don't use evidence, we use our emotion or personal experience. I think that with this data, you should be able to state Where is the evidence that states that bottle feeding is easier???????Takes less energy??????

Another thing that makes me crazy is the idea that nursing research is somehow less true than medical research.
Good research is good research no matter who does it!!!! Data is data...and having come through the academic system that teaches research to nurses, I can say that they go through a very rigorous review process. In addition, their journals are peer reviewed and have a mix of professionals just like medical journals.  And one study no matter how great doesn't "prove" anything. It is only with many studies with similar results can we find what is "true". Paula has been doing research in this area for, I think, at least 10 years!
I understood exactly what Jack was saying about Dr. Schanler vs Paula Meier.

The following are the references that I have:
Meier PP Bottle and breastfeeding: effects on transcutaneous oxygen pressure and temperature in preterm infants Nurs Resear 37:36-41. 1988.
Blaymore-Bier J et al Breastfeeding of very low birth weight infants J Pediatr 123:773-8, 1993.
Bosque EM et al Physiologic measures of kangaroo versus incubator care in a tertiary level nursery. JOGNN 24:210-26. 1995.
Meier PP Suck-breathe patterning during bottle and breastfeeding for preterm infants. David TJ, ed. Major controverisies in infant nutrition (International Congress and Symposium Series 2145) London: Royal Society of Medicine PRess 1996: 9-20.
Meier, PP Responses of small preterm infants to bottle and breastfeeding MCN 12:97-105. 1987.
Meier, PP et al Breastfeeding support services in the neonatal intensive care unit JOGNN 22:338-44 1993.

Carol L'Esperance RN, MSN, IBCLC, Albuquerque, NM See you all in DC!