Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:47:30 EDT
Thanks, Winnie for your excellent points. I did point out all of those issues
to this mom. The baby had not been circ'd "because he was too small." He has
gained amost 6 ounces since birth (6/30) wt check on 7/10. Because mom is
feeding him by bottle. She says she will pump and bottle feed and keep trying
to latch him on. She is very young, Asian and kind of a know it all. Has MANY
questions about the nutritional value of human milk , i.e. will putting it in
a bottle change the nutrition, etc. I spent LOTS of time with them and will
continue to stay in touch. But mom has essentially "blown off" my comments
and observations because "the doctor says there's nothing wrong with his
tongue." Of course I didn't say it was the tongue!! but the frenulum beneath.
 She is also using an Evenflow pump which is further damaging her nipples. I
even let her try one of our Lactinas and offered to lend one to her at no
charge (we have several that are leased to the program). And she said it
didn't feel much different than "her' pump. ARRGGHH! No more hoops to jump
through for this one.
Mary Kay Smith, IBCLC
Romeoville IL