HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Hicks, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:59:51 -0400
Try contacting the instructors of the federal Archaeological Resources
Protection Act training program, the one-week school at the Federal Law
Enforcement Training Academy at Glynco, Georgia.  The subject of remote
videotaping of historic sites is part of the curriculum.  Find the FLETC web
site and seek the course supervisor/lead instructor, Woody Jones, and find
his email address.  Or call him at 912-267-3042.  His lead co-instructor is
an archaeologist, Martin McAllister, reachable at 406 (Montana)-728-7195.  I
think his email address is [log in to unmask] (ari = Archaeological Resource
Investigations).  Also, the National Park Service has experience of these
remote video cameras and motion detectors.  Try calling one of their law
enforcement people with extensive experience with archaeological
vandalism/theft investigations, to wit:  Supervisory Park Ranger Mike
Greenfield, Fredericksburg & Spotsylvania National Military Park,
540-654-5256.  And, if you want to contact me directly, I can furnish you
with the material on remote monitoring that was provided during the 1995
ARPA training program that I attended--just give me a fax number.  I'm sure
that Woody has updated this material, however.

Robert Hicks
Crime Prevention and Law Enforcement Services
Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services
804-786-8421