From:
Jeremey McMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 01:44:27 EDT
I was reading a list of some of the tunings that were in use before our
equal temperament system of today came into use.  The tunings that I am
familiar with are the Pythagorean, Just(major/minor), and the Mean Tone
tuning systems.  I also read about the "wolf intervals" that sent different
chords "howling" out of tune.  Our 'A' today didn't sound the same back
then.  They used A415 or higher.  Their 'A' would probably sound flat to
us.  I wondering how these tunings affected the music composed back then.
I noticed that Mozart always wrote his music in the keys of C,D,F,G,A, and
Bb.  I don't see the other keys as often.  I have a digital piano that has
the different tunings.  First, I played "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"
(Mozart's Version) in its original key in a different tuning.  Then, I
tried playing it in F#.  It was so out of tune it made my ears hurt!  I
also tried playing the "Fantaisie Impromptu".  It didn't even sound like
the "Fantaisie Impromptu"!  When I played simple melodies, I didn't notice
much difference.  When I played different chords and scales, it sound
like......

Jeremey