From:
Jeremey McMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 02:20:36 EDT
I usually don't practice on one thing for a long time.  Sometimes I may
only practice a piece for no more than thirty minutes at a time.  But last
night I pulled an all-nighter to straighten out some technical problems
that developed from not practicing enough.  I had a digital piano in my
room so I wouldn't disturb anyone.

I worked on the D major and Bb major scales.

I tried to be careful to avoid over exertion but I stayed up all night
practicing these two scales.  (to 6:30am) These are the hardest scales for
me to play- probably because of the position of the black keys.  I turned
on the ol' metronome and started practicing (Both hands, of course) at a
very, VERY slow pace.  I also spent time correcting my posture and keeping
my wrists level at just the right height above the keyboard.  By 3am I was
practicing at 120 (two notes for every beat) By 5am, I was practicing with
the metronome at170.  By 6:30 I was able to turn the metronome off and
sweep up and down the whole keyboard through every octave, as fast as I
possible.  I already could play all my scales, but I just needed to take
time to repair any technical problems.

What is your hardest scale? How many pianist on this list have a little
problem with their technique that has to be fixed every now and then? I
think a good way to play a Chopin piece is to find an etude that matches
the technique needed to play that piece.

Jeremey