From:
Bill Pirkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 15:40:10 -0700
Jeremey writes:

>I usually don't practice on one thing for a long time.  Sometimes I may
>only practice a piece for no more than thirty minutes at a time.  But last
>night I pulled an all-nighter to straighten out some technical problems
>that developed from not practicing enough.  I had a digital piano in my
>room so I wouldn't disturb anyone.
>
>I tried to be careful to avoid over exertion but I stayed up all night
>practicing these two scales.  (to 6:30am) These are the hardest scales for
>me to play- probably because of the position of the black keys.

Chopin himself said that it was not necessary to practice more than 2
hours a day.  Later, brain research confirmed this.  Fast passages like
the golf swing can not be thought as they are being played.  It has to
become automatic.  The area of the brain called the cerebellum at the base
of the spine stores programmed muscle movements.  For this storing to take
place, neurons have to be connected, probably during sleep when the brain
has nothing better to do as all input is shut down.  The connection of
neurons in a chemical reaction that takes time.  You will be able to
play them after a good night's sleep.  It can't be forced.  The brain is
amazing.  Just tell it what you want it to do then go to sleep.  When you
awake it can do it.  Many psychologists now think that dreams are pictures
that are generated as the neurons of the brain are disconnecting and
reconnecting while the days input is being digested during sleep.  Have
you ever dreamed about fingering?

What works for me is to play the piece in my mind, picturing the
fingerings.  I am currently learning Beethoven's cadenza to the 4PC, 1st
mov.  #2.  I fall asleep playing it in my mind, picturing the fingering.
Everyday it gets better.  I think its the sleep as much as the practice.

Bill Pirkle