From:
Terriann Shell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:44:18 -0800
I guess that the question "did you have an induced birth" should be on my intake form.  I'm thinking that if a mother had an induction I should expect :

because of the pitocin:
*  possible increased jaundice
*  possible poor sucking from increased pressure of baby's head in the birth canal
*  sleepiness of baby due to pitocin

THEN:

any complication due to IV, especially if the "induction" took a long time

THEN

complications from the pain meds she probably had since inductions are more strenuous

THEN

complications from the other interventions that the above caused ( baby heart rate change due to the pitocin alone)!

What ever happened to the advice of applying "natural" prostaglandins to the cervix (as one nurse told me, three times in one day and I found it only took twice- email me privately if you don't get my drift), lots of standing to let gravity help drop baby's head onto the cervix or even if desperate, mom taking caster oil or applying evening primrose oil to her cervix (wasn't that what you apply?) ?  The good thing about these is that if the baby & mom's body are not ready, then they don't work!

An eye opener!

Terriann Shell