Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:17:53 -0500
> Carol,
> << and famous breastfeeding support groups "aren't allowed" to dis formula, so
>  why should moms think it is bad?  >>
>     I think there is a difference between DISing formula, or alternately
> stating the risks of its use in relation to the physiologic norm, and DISing
> formula feeding moms.<snip>. There are
> often a variety of moms in different places in their mothering growth, and
> some may have indeed formula fed earlier children, or  be mixing feeds now,
> and they need the support to grow in their knowledge, and make healthier
> choices as they are able.

As a LLLL, I find many times that a mom will seek out LLL when she
is pregnant with a second child after a "disasterour" experience with
breastfeeding her first.  (I'm one of those.)  Although I know that
breastfeeding is far superior than AIM, and I know that there are
dangers to feeding a baby AIM, by saying so at a meeting could
invalidate that mothers feelings about her mothering and the
decisions that she made with her first child.  This is experience
speaking.  The important thing that "famouns support groups" need to
do is provide *positive* information about breastfeeding and to
assist mothers in understanding the advantages of long term
breastfeeding.  Believe me there is plenty of "formula bashing" that
happens at meetings from the core moms. And there are many times that
leaders will support a comment made by a mom by referencing a study
that was done.  We also mention quite often the properties of
breastmilk and breastfeeding that aren't in AIM.  All the enzymes,
immunizations, that breastmilk is a living substance, benefits for
teeth, changes in the milk as the baby matures, etc etc etc.  It is
sort of a nice "dis" if you think about it.

I have to agree with a the fact that the medical professionals need
to take a stronger stance and need to stop telling moms that it is a
"personal choice" and that "although breastfeeding is better, formula
feeding isn't bad."  (Experience again.)

Michelle Leifur Reid
LLL Leader
Mobile, AL