Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 13:58:57 -0400
I received a complaint (privately) about my post to Lactnet regarding Dr.
Schanler.  I am surprised that the writer thought I was putting Dr. Schanler
down, as this was not my intention, not by a long shot.  The fact that I
stated that he probably did not do "hands on" type of breastfeeding research
was not a put down.  Some people do research on a molecular level, and to
say they don't do clinical research is not a put down.  That's just what
they do.  Some do the hands on stuff and little in the laboratory.  That's
also not a put down. I perhaps was jumping to a conclusion that the staff
neonatologist would not be there at the bed side observing nursing mothers,
but I based that conclusion on probabilities of how things work in teaching
hospitals.

The putdown was of the staff neonatologist at the questioner's unit who
would accept studies by Dr. Schanler, but not Dr. Meier.

If anyone else was put off by my post, I apologize for the poor expression
of my ideas.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC