From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:47:22 EDT
Re breastfeeding in prison:

Dear Carol,

Here in New York the Bedford Correctional Facility in Bedford, NY (about 40
minutes from NY City) women are allowed to keep their babies with them up to
about 18 mos I believe.  Many years ago I did a health fair there
representing LLL and moms were able to breastfeed, tho few did.  If you need
specific info on their program I,m not sure where to get it but could find
out for you.  It is a maximum security prison, too so there program is quite
unique from what I understand.  It was an experience being there but so
worthwhile; think we helped one mom consider relactating as she'd weaned at 5
mos and her baby was having all sorts of problems with ABM.  I even wrote an
article about the experience for LLL locally entitled "I Went to Prison for
LLL."  It was tongue in cheek and my humor probably covered up my nervousness
about being there.  It was inspiring to see these women come to this health
fair and sad to see so many caught up in drugs and bad relationships...
Sorry to reminisce so..hope I can be of help.
Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN,IBCLC
Brewster, NY