From:
Jeanette Panchula <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 10:43:57 -0400
Having had many years of dealing with lots of mis-information, may I make a
few points:

1. "Calling them on it" is NEVER helpful.  They will become defensive, say
you don't know what they were dealing with at the time, (which, in fact,
you don't) and they will never call you for help.  This may make you feel
like you did your part, but you won't be part of improving the situation.

2. If there is someone on staff you know, you can call her saying you had
this experience and say something like "I'm sure mom misunderstood"  (This
can help them keep face and may keep your lines of communication open even
if you know it's not the case).  You can go back to the "Many nurses have
found that..." (does my La Leche League background show?) and offer
suggestions and even the chance to give an inservice?

[For the inservice I recommend using Jan Riordan's Via Christi tool, which
she presented at last years La Leche League International Conference - so
you can get the syllabus - it's easy to teach the nurses and helps them to
identify moms who need follow-up in 24 hours vs. those who can wait a
while...]

3. The MOM can write a note to the hospital PR department (this usually
gets sent to the supervisors of the particular areas, and if it's strong
enough gets discussed among the supervisors' meeting), with the correct
(because you provided her with it) information and asking the hospital to
make a point of training their staff and update their knowledge on
breastfeeding. She can explain the great risk her baby was in, which
usually gets the big-wigs eyes opened up ($$$$ lawsuit).

Good luck!

Jeanette Panchula, LLLL, RN, IBCLC
Vacaville, CA