From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 07:42:24 EDT
Hi Judy,
Here are some thoughts
>We ofcourse worked on latch.  Baby opened mouth very wide and we quickly
latched him .
Upon examining latch, corners of mouth were not as wide as I would have
expected.  We worked several times attempting to obtain a deeper latch
without success.  Although it didn't seem obvious, I am wondering if
perhaps mom may be moving away from baby as she latches, perhaps in
anticipation of discomfort.<
Are you using the "off center" latch with this Mom?; position baby in xcradle
or f-ball holds (preferable to cradle early on if latch probs are suspected)
with baby's mouth south of nipple or nose in line with nipple, baby's body
should be tight against Mom's etc.
The burning she describes may or may not be yeast, it could just be r/t the
trauma. I would want to feel  sure all has been done to correct/improve the
latch before using a shield or treating for yeast. Is she using lansinoh?
Email me privately if you need more info. on the off center latch,
Good Luck!
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin, Mass