From:
Virginia G Thorley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 21:19:25 +1000
As regards the mother with CP, a friend of mine (not an LC) had a client with this situation.   The woman's spouse had a different disability, and couldn't help - and certainly neither of them could have coped with boiling and pouring water for bottles, holding bottles, and all the associated hassle.  If I recall, she told her clients, "Don't even consider bottle-feeding!"  Breastfeeding was presented positively.  My friend got the mother to sit in a bean bag while breastfeeding, with pillows on the floor round her.  This meant she was seated very low, and if she ever dropped the baby, the pillows were there to cushion the fall.  So far as I know, this worked out just fine.
     If I recall correctly, the parents lived in married quarters in a residential centre, where they had support.  Breastfeeding enabled the mother to care for her baby's feeding needs.  Had she not breastfed, she and her baby would have been dependent on others for all of the feeding.
        Cheers,
                 Virginia
                  Virginia Thorley, in Birsbane