Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:21:23 -0500

> Date:    Sat, 8 Jul 2000 23:07:48 -0400
> From:    "J. Szymanski" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: inservice for OB staff ideas
>

>  We have a couple of nurses who love to tell the mothers that
> the baby is using them as a pacifier UGH! Others feel the mothers need their sleep
> during the night.

Maybe this is part of a transition period. Now HCPs are recognizing the importance of
BF -- physical properties, immunities, etc. but not all of them recognize the emotional
value, and the lifestyle that goes along with breastfeeding. We hear all the things
about bonding and sleeping together and holding a baby all day and all night at LLL
meetings, but not in the hospital. I think it's gradually changing, though. Four years
ago I was woken up in the middle of the night because I had fallen asleep with one baby
on the breast and the other in the crook of my arm and the nurse checking on me
considered this dangerous. Last year I was only separated from my just-born for a few
minutes (and that only because I allowed them to so I could go to the bathroom -- this
was three or four hours pp, you know what it's like) and when they brought her back
they said, "she's a little chilly, you wouldn't mind snuggling with her, would
you?"Yeah, my baby uses me as a pacifier. Sometimes I even think I hear Dr. Jack
whispering in my ear: "Is that baby actually drinking at the breast?" I know that's not
what he means,  but I wonder about some other HCPs with a little knowledge of lactation
who are concerned that a baby has to be really drinking any time he is on the breast.
It is precisely because of the way they are comforted at the breast and they sleep so
peacefully beside me -- believe me, with seven children, I have learned how to get my
sleep needs met! -- that I have continued to breastfeed.Jo-Anne -- Three of mine have
chickenpox right now and one just finished, so we're sort of housebound and posting a
lot. My seven-year-old son just told me he couldn't decide whether to be a fireman or
an Internet person.