From:
Lynn Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 08:09:20 EDT
Dear Janet, Elisheva and others,  "Pushing the baby's head" on to the breast
with latch and the negativity that this description engenders has come up a
few times on Lactnet along with the "can you believe an LC would recommend
that" reaction. Isn't it possible that this is, again, the parents perception
of what is done vs. the LC's perception? When I consult with parents for a
baby's inability to latch, AFTER assisting and encouraging verbally I
sometimes have to provide hands on assist which involves moving the baby off
and on the breast, repeatedly. Although I point out to the parents that the
heal of my hand is on the baby's shoulders and that this is the area that I
am pushing into the breast, I am sure that many of them would describe what I
am doing as pushing the baby's head on to the breast. It is difficult to see
and feel the difference without a practiced eye and hands.
Lynn Shea Rn,Bsn,Ibclc
Franklin, Massachusetts