Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 22:41:56 EDT
Just a bit of information for those who are not well informed about latex
allergies. I am just  barely recouperating from a severe latex allergy
exposure this afternoon. I usually get horrible, water filled blisters from
exposures to latex. It is like severe burns. Luckily, the facility I was
working at had a latex policy and was working toward being latex free so I
had minimal exposures there.
This afternoon I was at a Cardiovascular Health Conference and they did a
demonstration of some type of stretchy exercise bands which are popular for
senior citizens. Apparently the bands being rubber, when stretched, broke up
into particles that I breathed. I had the most horrible migraine which has
lasted 7 hrs, with a sore throat.
I am getting more and more worried about latex exposures. I think it is
important for HCP's to address this issue. The vinyl gloves are not as
flexible as latex, but they may prevent a tragedy.
Also, if you wear latex gloves, be sure and wash your hands after removing
them, and wipe off any surfaces you may have come into contact with. I have
had exposures from touching the door knobs where the housekeepers touched
those.

Barbara Whitehead