From:
medeserv <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 20:28:47 +1000
As it is a long time since I have posted, I will reintroduce myself. I have
been a NMAA Counsellor for just over 17 years, and an IBCLC for nearly 10years
(have to resit this year).  I am also a doctor and mainly work in a
breastscreening clinic (government funded mammograms for women over 40yrs
every two years) in Toowoomba Australia.

We not infrequently see women with nipple discharge which can range in colour
from pea green to kaki to almost black. It is usually due to a condition
called duct ectasia where the ducts, particularly under the areola and nipple
become dilated. It is of no consequence, and rarely requires any treatment.The
discharge can be confined to one duct, or can occur from many ducts and both
breasts. Interestingly, non lactating women who develop mastits and breast
abscesses also tend to have duct ectasia. Duct ectasia can have a very unique
mammographic appearance, which is also know as plasma cell mastitis mentioned
in posts earlier this week.

Wendy Brodribb
Mother to Jenny 20, David 18, Megan 17 and Alice 13